Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Personification of a Mystery Object

by Ally Barillas, Ninth Grade
My story begins under the earth. It was dark and cold but I was comfortable there. Dirt and stones surrounded me but it was peaceful there. For years I slept and slumbered there. It was always quiet and nothing ever happened. Until something unexpected happened. The ground above me trembled. It shook and broke. Sunlight burst through the cracks and two grimy hands plucked and pulled me from my place. I was lifted high above the ground, too high. I was scared, terrified, agitated. Everything was moving so fast. I looked out and took in the view. The green fields stretched to the sides of the mountains. The sky had wisps of clouds and was full of colorful hues.

I was tossed into a bag full of all my dirty friends. Our lumpy skin bumped and scratched against each other. We were cleaned then shipped off to who knows where. I was one of the lucky ones; I seemed to survive longer than the others. Every so often, someone would open the bag and and take a few of us out. However, whomever was picked would never come back. Knowing I was to die, I mentally and physically prepared myself for the future.

I was picked next. I was bashed, cooked and stabbed. Being placed on a plate, I was cut into shapes and I felt my white insides exposed. Butter washed through me; it burned and melted and seemed to glow in the candle light. Salt was sprinkled over me. It stung and blinded me. Streams of hot air twirled and danced in the air. Piece by piece I was eaten. I closed my eyes and died. I was brought to the spirit realm where I was reunited with my friends.

Students were given an object which they had to describe and personify but could not reveal the object directly in their writing. Did you guess this mystery object?
A Potato
Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts are . . .